This artichoke egg recipe is very filling and although it may seem like a lot of work due to having to trim the artichokes please give it a chance it is well worth it! Keep in mind the less you stir the eggs the less green they will be and using farm-fresh eggs if possible, will improve the dish substantially. Squeezing lemon juice over the freshly-cut artichoke hearts is very important to prevent the artichoke hearts from browning. This dish would be excellent for a very filling breakfast or for brunch. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons butter
- 6-7 fresh artichoke hearts chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 lemons to keep the artichokes from turning brown and for juice to squeeze over the finished eggs
- 4 farm-fresh eggs
- Freshly-grated parmesan cheese or goat cheese
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup roasted cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Optional step for preparing the roasted cherry tomatoes: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with some salt and cane sugar. Place in the oven and roast until the tomatoes are caramelized and the skins are becoming loose but not too browned.
- Prepare the artichoke hearts by removing the outer leaves and cut the hearts into 1/2-inch chunks covering all exposed parts of the artichoke heart while you are cutting it to prevent it from browning.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium-sized non-stick skillet.
- Add the artichoke hearts to the skillet and sauté them in the butter until lightly browned on the edges. Add 1/4 cup water and cover the skillet. Simmer the artichoke hearts until a fork inserted into one of the chunks comes out easily.
- Once the artichokes are done cooking, drain the liquid and add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan with the artichokes. Once the butter has melted, add 4 whole eggs to the artichoke butter mixture.
- Stir the eggs to combine (avoid overmixing as the more the eggs are stirred, the greener the eggs will be).
- Once the eggs are done to your preference (I like mine on the rare side), sprinkle some parmesan or goat cheese on the eggs and lightly mix.
- Salt and pepper the eggs to taste.
- Top the scramble with the optional roasted cherry tomatoes and garnish with a slice of lemon for additional juice to be added just before eating.
Serve with toast or fresh fruit!
Source: Inspired by the recipe entitled Scrambled eggs with artichokes from The Silver Spoon cookbook, 2017