This is the best granola I have ever made! It forms nice sheets that break into large-sized chunks and it isn’t crumbly at all. I modified the original recipe by adding some ground golden flaxseed meal and you can use dried cranberries or chocolate according to your preferences. I use a Cuisinart blender which I think works well to grind the pecans to an almost flour-like consistency. This granola is delicious served with some milk or greek yogurt. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup butter (if salted don’t add any salt to the recipe)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans ground very fine
- 2 cups minus 1 tablespoon old fashioned extra-thick rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flaxseed meal (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon orange finely zested
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries or chocolate chunks milk or dark chocolate according to your preference
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Alternatively get out a large cast iron skillet for baking the granola if preferred over a cookie sheet.
- To make the brown butter place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow the butter to cook stirring it often. You will hear lots of bubbling noises then all of a sudden the butter will get very quiet. This means get there quick it should be foamed over and the butter quickly turns golden. As soon as it is golden in color, remove it from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, honey and vanilla extract. Add the hot brown butter. Stir well to combine.
- Add the following additional ingredients to the brown butter mixture and stir to combine: finely ground pecans, oats, flaxseed meal, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, and dried cranberries or chocolate chunks.
- Spread out the granola on your prepared cookie sheet and place the granola in the oven to bake for 40 minutes stirring the granola a few times while it bakes.
- Once the granola is done, allow it to sit for about an hour to cool. The granola will solidify and stick together more as it cools. Store in an airtight container. According to Bon Appetit this granola can be stored at room temperature in a airtight container for up to 1 week. I also sometimes store granola in the freezer.
Source: Adapted from Brown Butter-Pecan Granola, bonappetit.com