The sauce for this dish is similar to Alfredo sauce but emphasizes the flavor of gorgonzola dolce cheese. This cheese is a buttery cow’s milk cheese made in Italy. It is a lot like bleu cheese except it is creamier and a little bit sweet. We used the Barilla Collezione Artisanal Collection Orecchiette. These are perfect as this pasta shape hold the sauce well. Enjoy!
- 12 ounces Orecchiette
- 8 ounces gorgonzola dolce cheese
- pinch of cane sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add the gorgonzola dolce, pinch of cane sugar and heavy cream to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a low simmer over medium heat. Turn the heat down to medium-low and continue to simmer the sauce until it has thickened.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook your pasta until al dente.
- Once the pasta is done, stir it into the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from Wright, J. “Farfalle with Gorgonzola Cream. ” The Cooks Encyclopedia of Pasta. 2000.