These biscuits are so flavorful and go with just about anything. We served them with some seafood. We used Neal’s Yard Montgomery’s Cheddar which is an aged sharp cheddar so you could substitute with this type of cheddar if needed. The honey is perfect on top. Enjoy!
- 3 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt such as Maldon
- 2 1/2 cups Neal’s Yard Cheddar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into large cubes + 3 more tablespoons butter for brushing on the biscuits before and after baking
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional for sprinkling on top of the biscuits before baking them)
- honey to taste
1. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Add the bread flour, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, sea salt and cheddar cheese to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Add the butter and using a pastry blender combine the butter with the flour mixture working with the pastry blender until the butter is pea-sized. Add the chives and buttermilk and fold them in with a wooden spoon. Mix until just combined (don’t overmix).
4. Form the biscuit batter into a ball of dough adding a little flour to keep it from sticking to your fingers. Place the dough on a lightly floured flat surface and press it with your fingers into a disc that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. Fold the dough in half and form the 1 1/2 inch thick disc again using a little flour as needed to keep it from sticking. Using a biscuit cutter, form medium-sized biscuits (about 1/3 cup of dough per biscuit) and place about 1” apart on the baking sheet. Brush each of the biscuits with 2 of the tablespoons of the melted butter and sprinkle on the optional cayenne.
5. Place the biscuits in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush an additional 1 tablespoon butter over the top.
Serve immediately with some honey on top!