This mixed berry gelato is absolutely fantastic. It is creamy just like gelato should be. I use a Cuisinart Gelateria and it worked out perfectly. We used a mixture of berries-strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries as well as a mixed berry jam, but it would be great if you wanted to just use one type of berry and use the corresponding jam. Enjoy!
Mixed Berry Gelato
- ice cream maker with a gelato function I use a Cuisinart Gelateria
- large mixing bowl
- medium-sized saucepan
- wooden spoon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen berries I used a mixture of strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp mixed berry jam
- If you're using frozen berries, place them in a bowl to thaw. If you're using fresh berries, rinse them and set them out on a paper towel to dry.
- Add the cream and 3 cups of the milk to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, while the cream and milk are coming to a simmer, add the remaining 1 cup of milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt to a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine.
- Once the berries are thawed, or if using fresh place them in a blender to puree them. Set them aside.
- Once the cream-milk mixture has come to a simmer, add the milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt mixture in stirring well with a wooden spoon to combine. Stir the mixture continuously for up to 20 minutes until it is thickened. Turn the heat up to medium if needed. After the mixture has thickened, turn off the heat and add the berries, vanilla extract, and mixed berry jam. Stir to combine.
- Run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer pushing the mixture around with a spoon to push it through the strainer. There will be pulp left from the fruit so discard this. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator at least 2 hours preferably overnight.
- Once the mixture has been in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, whisk it again and place it in your prepared gelato maker. For my Cuisinart gelato maker, the instructions state to "Press the gelato setting and then start/stop. Let mix until thickened (mine took about 25 minutes). Store the gelato in an air-tight container for 2 hours.