We love this pasta dish made with Durum Semolina Pasta that has been “oven toasted.” I use La Casa Del Grano brand pasta and found this delicious recipe which I adapted to our tastes. These pasta balls are so flavorful as they are toasted and they also have a lot of texture.
Now that tomatoes are available again, look for some really ripe heirloom tomatoes. You could also use cherry tomatoes which the original recipe calls for. Another key ingredient to this dish is to use high quality canned tuna. Ortiz brand tuna is so delicious, I prefer it over fresh tuna…which says a lot. It is canned with olive oil which gives it a smooth texture. We add the tuna at the end as you don’t want to heat up this tuna in my opinion it is best as is.
What more can I say! Enjoy.
Fregola with Tuna
- 8 ounces La Casa Del Grano Durum Semolina Pasta oven toasted
- 2 tsp unsalted butter I use Kerrygold brand
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil + extra olive oil for drizzling
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 4 medium-sized heirloom tomatoes or equivalent amount of Campari or other fresh tomato de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil cut into ribbons
- to taste sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 ounces canned tuna I use Ortiz brand
- 1-2 tbsp salt-cured capers (optional), rinsed I use La Nicchia brand capers
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the fregola according to package instructions until it is al dente. Drain the pasta and stir in the 2 tsp butter and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet. Add the minced shallot and cook the shallot until it is soft and golden on the edges stirring it often.
- Add the diced tomatoes, basil ribbons, pinch of sea salt to taste, and dried oregano. Continue to cook the sauce frequently stirring it with a wooden spoon until the tomatoes are softened and most of the water from the tomatoes has evaporated. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the tuna and capers.
- Add the fregola pasta to a bowl and top with the sauce. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.Source: Adapted from La Casa Del Grano brand durum semolina pasta oven toasted package.