These breakfast sandwiches are a new favorite! This recipe uses the technique of toasting the breakfast sandwich while covered with a coffee mug. Be sure the mug is the right size to sit on the edge of your breakfast sandwich and not on the hot pan. This technique makes for perfectly melted cheese by trapping the heat. Toasting the English muffins with some butter makes them perfectly toasted and delicious. The key to these breakfast sandwiches is to find some high-quality hot sauce. We use Rancho Gordo’s Rio Fuego hot sauce which has notes of fruit and raisins. Be sure to wrap your hot breakfast sandwiches individually in some tin foil as this will keep them warm. Enjoy!
Coffee Mug Breakfast Sandwiches
- 4 English Muffins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened divided 2 tablespoons for buttering the English muffins and 1 tablespoon for the scrambled eggs.
- 4 Thick slices mild cheddar cheese I use Whole Foods Mild Cheddar
- 4 slices black forrest ham
- 4 eggs scrambled I like my scrambled eggs less well done a little on the runny side
- Freshly cracked peppercorns to taste
- Hot sauce to taste We really like the Rancho Gordo Rio Fuego Very Hot Sauce
- Butter both sides of all of the English muffins and place the outsides of the muffins on the hot surface of a large cast-iron pan over medium heat. Place the cheddar cheese slices on 4 of the English muffin slices and place the tops of the muffins on. Cover each of your breakfast sandwiches with a large-mouthed coffee mug. You want the mug to sit on top of the lip of the English muffin sandwich and not directly on the hot pan. After the breakfast sandwiches have toasted for about 3 minutes, flip them over being careful not to over toast them. Turn down the heat to medium low and place the mugs back on top of the breakfast sandwiches.
- Meanwhile, scramble your eggs over medium-low heat melting 1 tablespoon of butter before placing the eggs in the pan. Add sone freshly cracked peppercorns. Once the eggs are scrambled turn off the heat and set them aside.
- Turn off the heat to the skillet with the breakfast sandwiches. Add the ham slices to the inside of each of your breakfast sandwiches (the cheese should be melted by now) and top with some scrambled eggs. Drizzle with your favorite hot sauce and wrap each sandwich in some tin foil. Enjoy immediately!