Having scrambled eggs with vegetables is an excellent way to get more vegetables and can also serve as a hearty brunch when you are running late (meaning eating breakfast for lunch)! I like to have this dish with some fresh orange juice or green tea but a smoothie would be delicious with it as well. I don’t add any salt to this dish because I find the olives add enough. Enjoy!
Serves: 2 for a hearty breakfast or brunch
7 eggs beaten
Pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons butter for the vegetables + 1 tablespoon butter for the scrambled eggs
1 purple spring onion or 1/4 purple onion finely chopped
Sweet cherry tomatoes
½ teaspoon dried oregano
olives (I use a mix)
1/4 cup artichoke hearts preserved in oil sliced (I get mine from the olive bar at whole foods and they are delicious!)
¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Beat eggs with a whisk in a medium sized bowl.
- Add pepper to the beaten eggs to taste.
- Melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and dried oregano and continue to sauté for about 4 more minutes.
- Remove the cherry tomato-onion-oregano mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet over medium heat and cook the scrambled eggs to your desired doneness being careful to stir the eggs frequently moving the eggs from one side of the pan to the other to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove the scrambled eggs from pan and place on plates topping with the cherry-tomato-onion-oregano mixture, artichoke hearts, olives and finely grated parmesan cheese.
Source: Janel from Twelve Basketfuls