We had these buns a few days ago and they are amazing. They taste pretzel-like and went perfectly with our lamb burgers but would also be delicious with any type of sandwich or with some jam. I recommend using liberal amounts of poppy and sesame seeds!
Makes 6-8 buns
- 1 cup lukewarm water 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature (preferably grass-fed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt for the dough + 1/4 extra to sprinkle on top of the buns just before baking them (I prefer to use Maldon or Kosher)
- 3 1/2 cups Bread Flour (I prefer to use King Arthur Flour)
Egg white wash:
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup water
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (preferably grass-fed) for topping the buns after they are baked.
- poppy seeds and sesame seeds for topping the buns
- Whisk together the water, butter, egg, cane sugar, instant yeast and sea salt. Mix in about 3 cups of the flour with a wooden spoon. Add additional flour a little at a time kneading the dough by hand or in a mixer until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl that has been greased with butter. Turn the dough and sprinkle it with a tiny bit of flour. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours until the dough is doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and cut it into 8 equal-sized round pieces. Place the dough on a large baking sheet that has been lightly greased with butter or is covered with a silpat. Press the dough ball down until they are 3 inches in diameter. Let the buns rise for about an hour until they are puffy.
- While the buns are rising for the second time, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare an egg white wash by whisking together the egg white and water. Using a pastry brush, spread the wash over the top of the buns and top them with a little Kosher salt to taste.
- Bake the buns for about 15 minutes until the buns are golden or until they reach an internal temperature of 195 degrees F turning the pan 180 degrees about halfway through the cooking time.
- Once the rolls are done baking, brush them with the melted butter and top the buns generously with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
Source: Adapted from https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe