We had run out of groceries but had some key ingredients on hand so after a quick grocery store run, this dish came together nicely. The finished dish adapted from Bon Appetit appeared authentically Italian and the lemon-flavor was delicious. I ended up adding a little over 1 cup of pasta water to get the sauce to the desired smooth texture. I changed some of the proportions to get less garlic-flavor and also less noodles as we like our noodles coated with a lot of sauce. I also increased the amount of parmesan cheese. I recommend the Bucatini from the Artisanal Collection by Barilla. Enjoy!
Serves: 2 adults
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large slices of extra-thick cut bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces of bucatini
- 2 large egg yolks or 3 small-sized egg yolks
- 4 ounces freshly ground parmesan
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest + a little more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a medium-sized skillet and fry the bacon until it is crispy and golden. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside on paper towels to drain the fat. Wipe out the skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, shallots, and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer the shallot-garlic mixture to a medium-sized pot.
- Meanwhile, get the pasta water boiling and cook your pasta until it is al dente. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water. Drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the shallot-garlic mixture and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water and continue to stir to combine.
- Stir in the egg yolks, most of the parmesan (reserve a little to sprinkle on top of the finished dish), bacon, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add additional pasta water as needed so the pasta has a glossy appearance.
- Serve immediately topped with more parmesan, freshly ground black pepper and lemon zest.
This dish goes well with a green salad.
Source: Adapted from https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bucatini-with-lemony-carbonara