I can’t say enough about how wonderful spinach with garlic, olive oil, and lemon is! This Italian recipe adapted from Nancy Silverton’s recipe in Food & Wine is super delicious. I have often not had time to allow the oil to infuse for an hour and it was still wonderful. Enjoy!
Serves: 4 adults
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves thinly sliced
- thick strips of zests from 2 lemons (thick strips)
- fresh juice from 1/4 lemon
- 15 ounces baby spinach or other greens such as kale or swiss chard
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- slice of lemon for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a small skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic cloves, lemon zest, and lemon juice and bring the olive-oil mixture to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the garlic is golden. Set the olive oil mixture aside for at least 1 hour so that the flavors can infuse.
- Meanwhile, rinse the greens and place them with the water still clinging to the leaves in a medium-sized pot. Turn the heat to medium and allow the greens to wilt. Remove them from the pot once they are wilted but still bright green and place them in a colander. Press out the liquid with a spoon. Slice the greens. Filter the olive oil to remove the solids and liberally drizzle the olive oil over the greens. Top the greens with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, chili flakes and serve with a slice of lemon.
Source: Adapted from Food & Wine. 2017 recipe by Nancy Silverton.