I am so excited to share this chocolate cake recipe with you! I received the recipe with an order from award-winning Askinosie Chocolate and was thrilled when they gave me permission to share the recipe as it is written (except for eating the cake warm straight out of the oven) I followed the recipe to the letter and the cake was superb! I used olive oil and the cake is perfectly moist which is pretty unusual for a climate as dry as Colorado. We frosted the cake with a chocolate frosting recipe I was given as a teen by a ranch cook and we thought the frosting paired perfectly with this cake. I have included a link below for Askinosie Chocolate which is a reliable high-quality chocolate company I order from quite often. This recipe features their cocoa powder. According to David from Askinosie Chocolate, their cocoa powder currently originates from Davao, Philippines and has “hints of brown sugar and caramel.” I also use this cocoa powder in my morning mochas. Enjoy!
- 2 cups sugar (I used cane sugar)
- 2 cups flour (I used all-purpose white flour)
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons (heaping) Askinosie Chocolate Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan.
3. Mix sugar and flour together in a large mixing bowl, set aside, Melt butter in a small pan on the stove. Add vegetable oil, cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil. Pour cocoa mixture into sugar/flour mixture. Mix with a hand mixer (I used a regular kitchen mixer) for 5 minutes. Add buttermilk, vanilla, salt, baking soda and eggs and mix again until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour into a baking pan, bake for 30-35 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before serving (We at the cake when it came out of the oven and it was delicious as there’s nothing like a warm piece of chocolate cake!).
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ cup plus 1/8 cup Askinosie Chocolate Natural Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons coffee or espresso (can substitute milk)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar and cocoa powder, beating well.
3. Slowly beat in the milk, coffee, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.